Lion dp4

Good news:

finaly can get framebuffer working on 6970, how: delete ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle, works on second boot

its possible to backport this feature from Lion to snow leopard, copy these 4 kexts from lion into snow leo: ATIRadeonX3000.kext ATISupport.kext ATIFramebuffer.kext ATI6000Controller.kext and use this aty_init.

Also, there is now Cayman XT, Cayman pro, gl renderer strings inside ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver, but sadly they arent used, 6970 is still unknown cypress gl renderer(if you recover x3000GLDriver, after booting to gui, and launch glview)

bad news: acceleration on 6970 is still borked, gives a lot of gpu debug dumps, so need to disable it by removing GLDriver bundle

Update

for gf100 nvidia cards still need to apply this patch.

Comments

1. June 7th, 2011 | 3:30 am

ATI suckz ..

2. the rominator
    June 7th, 2011 | 3:47 am

interesting.

Any Fermi news?

3. jpa
    June 7th, 2011 | 3:49 am

pics not load 🙁

4. macfun
    June 7th, 2011 | 7:42 am

Great news !!! Can i use this with Radeon HD 6950??

5. iktus
    June 7th, 2011 | 9:43 am

It’s time to make a change? 😀
    my 5850 it’s shaking…
    i stay tuned
    thanks netkas for your investigation

6. stangen
    June 7th, 2011 | 10:17 am

This is amazing news. Now i will happy with my Powercolor HD6950@6970 🙂

7. Stanly.ok
    June 7th, 2011 | 11:54 am

any news on the green side? some GTX580 improved support?

*captcha gave me some Japanese kanji O___o

8. Boomhowler
    June 7th, 2011 | 12:11 pm

Always interested: anything new about 6870 and steam/dvd?

9. MrNice
    June 7th, 2011 | 12:51 pm

Quick copy from my MBP2010. Haven’t loaded DP4 yet on my Hackintosh. (GTX590). Will do so today though.

NVDANV50Hal:

Versie: 7.0.94
    Laatst gewijzigd: 30-05-11 05:12
    Infotekst: NVDANV50Hal 7.0.94 270.05.00a14 <— Seems so

10. Yop
    June 7th, 2011 | 1:12 pm

Same installation process as dp1, right?

11. Mike
    June 7th, 2011 | 8:40 pm

Can someone post a link to the 4 files from DP4. I do not have a developer license for OSX and would like to test this with a 6950. Thanks.

12. Stanly.ok
    June 7th, 2011 | 9:59 pm

2 MrNice

I guess you could try just copying files, anyway, please keep us posted! ((=

13. admmasters
    June 7th, 2011 | 10:38 pm

Unable to install DP4 here. Got DP3 installed using Chameleon, stuck now. 🙁

14. Sam
    June 8th, 2011 | 6:23 am

Sorry for the noob question….

I got a hackintosh running Snow Leopard great with Cartri macbios on flashed GA-EP45-UD3.

In a few words how can I get Lion DP4 running on it? Couldn’t find much details online… Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

15. hbp112358
    June 8th, 2011 | 10:10 am

installed DP4 just fine using the method from DP2 with replacing the Packages folder in System folder… but have up my GTX 460 to my wife after instability issues in Snow and DP2 and 3 so I can’t test it with DP4. keep us posted Netkas on whats the best cards… cause I’ll be in the market again soon for a replacement for this old 9800GT.

16. Chiarta91
    June 8th, 2011 | 3:10 pm

YEEES,

but wich problem could be the not-working graphic acceleration?
    because now I have a 6970 still not recognized, or better it recognize id but not the card…256mb vram, exct…
    and simply application like Iweb or Imovie don’t works because of it…I’m asking, but a time recognized I will have too this problems???and “GraphicsEnabler=No” could disable graphic aceleration totally?
    thx

17. lameritos
    June 8th, 2011 | 8:26 pm

5750 who run qe? how???

18. Andy
    June 8th, 2011 | 9:49 pm

Chiarta91 – I can vouch for netkas post, it does work in both Lion and Snow Leopard however having to delete the GLDriver bundle means we won’t have any OpenGL acceleration (but at least the card is working with full resolution support).

If your 6970 is still not being recognised then something has gone pear shaped your side.

19. MrNice
    June 9th, 2011 | 10:14 am

Installed DP4 fine here on my hackintosh. Was a bit tricky to get a bootle RAID-0 working, but its working now. (copying mach_kernel in boot os x partitions and making a full loaded extensions.mkext in both partitions (about ~50.4mb))
    Everything is working including sleep and temperature. GTX590 seems to have some better performance. It says unknown, because It’s loaded from cached extensions. (Yeah LED Cinema on Hackintosh, it’s ridiculous) (Copied info is in dutch). I didn’t need to add my device id in the nvidia driver, but I did so in the installer. (I hate installing in 640×480 😉 ). So I don’t know if it’s copied during the installation. Anyway, didn’t have to edit it after installation.

Unknown:

ROM-revisie: 70.10.37.00.01
    Beeldschermen:
    Beeldschermconnector:
    Status: Geen beeldscherm aangesloten
    LED Cinema Display:
    Resolutie: 2560 x 1440
    Pixeldiepte: 32-bits kleur (ARGB8888)
    Serienummer beeldscherm: 2A0415AE6JL

Locatie: /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAGF100Hal.kext
    Kext-versie: 7.0.0
    Laadadres: 0xffffff7f80fb3000
    Geldig: Ja
    Origineel: Ja
    Afhankelijkheden: Voldaan

One question, Is the openCL patch required or is it only for coding and benchmarking?
    I guess I don’t need it.

20. newbie
    June 9th, 2011 | 12:42 pm

Hi
    can anyone point/post the kext?
    Thanks

21. June 9th, 2011 | 5:09 pm

My 6950&6970 are OK!!
    But pic cannot open…

22. Jake
    June 9th, 2011 | 5:23 pm

Hey guys, I have an HD6950 flashed to 6970 and I took the four required kexts from DP4 and installed them on Snow Leopard and now I boot into a white screen with only a cursor. I tried it with and without the ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle and it acts the same both ways. Any help fixing this would be great, or someone who has any better luck let us know!

23. pol98
    June 9th, 2011 | 7:41 pm

I try with 6950 flashed to 6970 and blue screen maybe i do somethings wrong
    1. delete ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle
    2. install ATIRadeonX3000.kext ATISupport.kext ATIFramebuffer.kext ATI6000Controller.kext using kexthelper
    3. Repair permition
    4.Restart blue screen

24. pol98
    June 9th, 2011 | 7:42 pm

ATIRadeonX3000.kext ATISupport.kext ATIFramebuffer.kext ATI6000Controller.kext file are form dp4 lion

25. newBie
    June 10th, 2011 | 2:52 am

Can anyone please post the Kext from DP4 so people can have a go with it 🙂
    Thanks

26. pol98
    June 10th, 2011 | 4:09 am
  27. kureta
    June 10th, 2011 | 5:25 am

You are the greatest! 6950 works but not with 6970 bios flashed. I had to restore the original bios to make it work. Thank you very much.

28. Chiarta91
    June 10th, 2011 | 8:35 am

@Andy:

thanks for your answer:-)

could anyone posts or link or simply say where we could download these new kexts?

thx

29. MrNice
    June 10th, 2011 | 11:44 am
  30. Colanta
    June 10th, 2011 | 5:06 pm

An HD6950@6970 is still reporting as an 6950 (6719) besides an 6970(6718), at least, mine report that way, and yes is flashed with a 6970 Bios..

I gess than adding the 6950 ID it should work

31. zypheruk
    June 10th, 2011 | 6:12 pm

Hi guys, can someone tell me if the ATI 4850 works in lion dp4 and if so what kexts etc are required.
    Cheers

32. the rominator
    June 10th, 2011 | 8:04 pm

Hey guys, I’m not sure if you understand what Netkas was saying in his post.

While I was ALWAYS able to get 6970 to work as a frame buffer in a Mac Pro, it was not working that way in Hackintoshes.

What Netkas is posting is that it is now possible to get this same LIMITED functionality in a Hack.

This does NOT mean that you can usea 69xx for anything other than the simple presentation of your desktop.

It will let you see your emails, but that is about it.

It is NOT accelerated. This means NO GAME PLAYING, NO PREVIEW IMAGES, NO DVD PLAYER. Do not rush out and grab a 6950 expecting blistering framerates in StarCraft. The card is still slower than molasses in January due to the fact that there is NO ACCELERATION WORKING YET.

So, if you are looking for something that is significantly slower than the entry level 7300GT while using much more power and bother, grab a 69xx card.

The plus here is that when the drivers finally REALLY support the cad, you will be all set. But currently, it is just functioning to display desktop and read your emails, nothing more.

33. Jake
    June 10th, 2011 | 9:08 pm

@the rominator

I knew what this meant and I am just looking to get a better resolution. I am currently stuck on a 4:3 ratio and I figured these instructions would fix my hackintosh.

34. blackknight
    June 10th, 2011 | 10:43 pm

So, is this working on the 6970 without atyinit or graphicsenabler=yes like the 6870’s?

35. Thiago Silva
    June 11th, 2011 | 3:51 am

We already have some solution for the GTX 460 OpenCL?

36. Jumpy
    June 11th, 2011 | 5:56 pm

Awesome.

Anyone have any idea how to get a 6990 working now?

37. June 12th, 2011 | 11:00 am

Not sure if it matters, but Apple released an update for DP4! Latest build is now 11A480e. We think it’s made especially for the MacBook Pro 2011 users (they had trouble with the IO80211Family.kext).

38. telepati
    June 12th, 2011 | 8:02 pm

Sapphire 6950 works. But not all things work. This is just fix your resolutions. Im using HDMI connection with 1080 resulotion now. OpenGL, DVDPlayer doesnt work. I just add DP4 kext to Extentions folder and start kext utility after that reboot machine. First reboot I got white screen then reboot again and computer open 1080p.

39. Jumpy
    June 12th, 2011 | 9:36 pm

Is it a MacBook Pro 2011-only Build? Nobody seems to have reported on it yet, no site, nothing….

40. Hummer
    June 12th, 2011 | 9:45 pm

Can someone please link to a torrent/DL of the new version 11A480e.

41. pol98
    June 13th, 2011 | 12:06 am

Can’t found 11a480e on developers website

42. marliwahoo
    June 13th, 2011 | 2:51 am

Lion DP4 won’t boot from RIAD kernelcache – must use extensions.mkext. Must remove kernelcache from /System/Liabrary/Caches and from RAID boot partition. Then make extensions.mkext and add to both places where you removed kernelcache.

Also might be a good idea to remove platform support.plst from RAID boot partition /System/Liabrary/CoreSevices.

43. Hummer
    June 13th, 2011 | 6:51 am

It should be on the dev site – see this thread #10 – http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1155835
    There are other sites that also are mention this new version.

44. June 13th, 2011 | 7:04 am

It’s an update in the AppStore. Just redownload it.

45. shukidevdas
    June 13th, 2011 | 8:22 am

i hope we see progress on the nvidia 5xx soon! 🙁

46. zekinha
    June 13th, 2011 | 5:59 pm

No one can provide Lion 11A480e version please?

This one is fixed for 2011 MBP!

47. the rominator
    June 13th, 2011 | 8:13 pm

Hey, I finally got DP4 up and running. Used the OpenCl fix and got wonderful OpenCl numbers in that test. The GTX450 crashes out of test, as others have noted with 460.

Oddly, even adding the GTX570 id to the 100 next it still doesn’t work.

I am still hopeful that Lion GM will have GTX5xx support out of box along with 6970, but it is looking less likely.

480 works great though.

48. the rominator
    June 13th, 2011 | 11:43 pm

Good news for GTX5xx cards !!!

I switched to 32bit kernel and got 570 working in DP4 !!!

It even works better than in DP2 !!!

Smoother, faster. OpenGl better than 470 but OpenCl variable.

Currently it requires “helper” card in slot 3. If helper is in slot 2, it KPs.

I am going to take another whack at writing an EFI ROM for it. But this is a very good sign that Lion will have 5xx support at some level.

Not sure if the 32 bit thing was needed, the other thing I noticed is that if I leave display connected to 570 from boot, I get black screen. I need to let it finish booting before connecting display. And before anyone asks, yes the ATY_Init was 64 bit version for Lion.

49. SG
    June 14th, 2011 | 4:48 am

i’m assuming it means the 570 would work in a hackintosh with dp4 then just like any other card with supported drivers?

50. June 14th, 2011 | 5:30 pm

Hi Rominator, great to hear.

I’m running an old 1,1 Mac Pro; am I right in reading that this suggests I’ll be able to run a 560 in it when Lion is released? (I have the old 7300GT that came with the computer and expect to use it as a helper card.)

I’ve read your posts about setting up the 470 et al and was thinking of getting a 470, but if 560 support is around the corner I’m probably better off going that route.

(Tried to sign up for the forums about a week ago but my account’s still waiting on admin approval…)

Thanks!